Grants

Archaeological Dig Phase Two

Group of 5th graders doing an archaeological dig

The grant helped the continuation of archaeology excavating at the District 44 School. It also included the development of a 5th-grade level archaeology curriculum to be used in the Wheaton Area Schools and the Campbell/Tintah School. An agreement was reached with the Traverse County Museum to provide a permanent District 44 School display outlining the archaeology work done at the site and also space for displaying recovered artifacts.

Careful planning of the project ensured that the project would be successful. Enthusiastic participation by the Wheaton Area Schools and the Campbell/Tintah School helped deliver the desired outcome of educating 5th-grade students in the importance of archaeology, local Traverse County and Taylor Township history. Additionally, cooperation from the Traverse County Museum helped secure the desired display space for the Dist. 44 School and artifacts and history of the school.

This project will continue to benefit the District 44 School. Each year students are brought out to the school to learn of its history and understand the importance of rural education in America, and in particular, Taylor Township and Traverse County. As a result of the two archaeology digs at the school, each year the students will be able to learn about artifacts found and the importance of archaeology and the role it plays in learning about a specific historical site and area. Visitors to the Traverse County Museum in Wheaton will be able to trace the school's history from inception to the closing date of 1954 and beyond, including the restoration efforts and the educational program now in place. Artifacts will be able to tell the story of the school and how each one can be connected to the District 44 School.

Recipient Taylor Township
Funding: $9,500

The Minnesota Historical and Cultural Grants Program has been made possible by the Arts and Cultural Heritage Fund through the vote of Minnesotans on November 4, 2008. Administered by the Minnesota Historical Society.